Re: Automatic installation

On Sunday 08 June 2003 15:27, David Fokkema wrote:
<snip>
> Can anyone comment on the tools available and which might be
> particularly suited for the job. For example, is fai the best choice
> because you can easily define classes and so configure the packages for
> a particular server, or is it overkill?
>
> Your thoughts, please...

I'm interested also.  I read FAI this week.  I am building a small server
farm.  As I build each server I want to omit CDROM (used only for
installation, $20) and FDD (used never, $5).  If FAI works as advertised I
might be able to achieve this goal.  When I compare the labor cost of
learning and maintaining FAI (16 hours * $20/hr = $320) versus the cost of a
CDROM ($20 ea.),  I'll have to build 16 servers to break even with paying
myself $20/hr.

Another justification for FAI is having to reload machines often.  An
automatic system would be fully worth the effort in that scenario.  Trouble
is, Debian does not need to be reloaded often - especially if you use stable
and keep them updated/upgraded.

FAI seems to make sense for a growing server farm or grid or cluster or
workstation environment or a retail PC with Debian preloaded.

I think a very good justification for using FAI in a small environment is to
learn the tool and pedal that skill in a large environment.  You never know
what skill will come in handy.  Luck comes to those that are prepared (I
think Lucille Ball said something this effect).

(worth == US$0.02)
--
Mike M.