Burning Cups problem

Hello,

I have a slight problem. I am running Debian on 3 machines at home (one router
and 2 desktops) and I am trying to get cups to run on the router, attach my
printer to it (deskjet 690C). The hardware part is no problem ;-) but the
software part is.

I installed the following packages:

apt-get install foomatic-db/unstable foomatic-db-engine  a2ps gs gsfonts
foomatic-db-hpijs/unstable hpijs/testing foomatic-bin/unstable
foomatic-filters libxml2/testing cupsys

The packages from testing and unstable are because of dependencies of the
foomatic and hpijs packages.

First of all cups runs very slowly. When requesting a page from the web
interface, cups will take cpu times for about 2 minutes. My router is only a
486@66 MHz computer but I never had problems with cups on a pentium 133.

Adding a printer poses a problem: the admin has to select the device the
printer is connected to from a dropdown list, and normally the parallel port
and usb ports are in there. But this dropdown is simply empty!

What can I do about this? It's a parallel port printer, the lp kernel module
is loaded and I can see that the hardware id properly recognised:

# cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe
CLASS:PRINTER;
MODEL:DESKJET 690C;
MANUFACTURER:HEWLETT-PACKARD;
COMMAND SET:MLC,PCL,PML;

Can someone please give me a hint? I struggled with it for quit a bit of time
now. Thanks!

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be