Re: monitorless intall - a newbie question

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:08:35PM +0200, R.Stepanyan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask for any information regarding an installation of
> Debian on a monitorless PC. The idea is to use a box without videocard
> and monitor, but with HDD and 2 network cards as a "server" for a small
> home network (basically - I do not have place and money to by videocard
> and monitor, but do have a laptop with debian on it). My idea was to
> boot the monitorless box from a floppy/CD in such a way, that
> 1. eth0 (for internal network) gets configured from init script
> 2. sshd/telned starts up from init script
> 3. make telnet/ssh from my laptop and configure it further, which
> includes all procedures, starting from fdisk, installind Debian, and
> ending with config of the eth1 for the external network.
>
> So, the question is: are there any ready images available for this kind
> of tasks. HOWTO's or just a piece of advice are also wellcome.

I don't know if anyone else has already replied to this post...

You might want to look at Fully Automatic Install (fai), just do an
apt-get. From what I get from your post, you probably don't want to go
through this trouble for a one-time install.

So instead, you might want to look into the autoinstall package. It
seems simpler to set up, but is probably not as configureable.

I've never used any of these packages, but want to, in the very near
future (read: next week or so...).

I will start a new thread asking if someone else has some experience
with these packages.

> I am not quite sure that this question corresponds to the subjects
> discussed in this list. So, my excusses if it is an off-topic.

Well, you want to install a debian system, right? Does not seem
off-topic to me...

HTH,

David