Playing a CD skips often

I have a Memorex CDRW-2216 that I'm trying to get working.  Never mind
that all I can do is make coasters with it.  Right now, even playing an
audio cd causes it to skip.  I've tested it using the kscd player in KDE
and workbone on the command line.  Playing audio cds with either app
causes skipping, sometimes occasional and sometimes frequent.  Ripping
tracks from the same audio cds works fine though.  How should I proceed
to troubleshoot my cd playing/skipping problem?

Thanks,

Ryan