Re: lilo broken after upggrade

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:45:35 -0600
Dan Hunt <dan@hunt.ath.cx> wrote:

> I have compiled a new custom 2.4.18 kernel using the great instructions
> from http://newbiedoc.sourcefourge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
> I am having problems with lilo, mbr, booting without using a floppy.
> I have no other OS installed. I understand lilo is a good thing, so I
> can change from kernel new to kernel old.

IMO a good thing but not great. The postinstall script for kernel-image
.debs limits you to two kernels, which will be called /vmlinuz and
/vmlinuz.old.

If you use grub and run update-grub after each kernel installation/removal,
you can have as many kernels as you wish.

> The new kernel does work as I made a boot floppy from it and use it to
> boot.
> Right now I get:
> MBR FA:_
> then if I press "a" then the prompt changes to
> MBR 1234F:_
>
> So something is wrong. My /boot/ has a wastland of files from various
> kernels I tried to get working. Four, count them 4, kernels.

You can fix that by purging the kernel-image packages for the kernels you
don't intend to use.

> My /boot is on /dev/hda5  ext3
> hda1 (ext2 with 100 MB free) hda2 <hda 5 6 7 8 9> hda3(swp)  hda4(tmp)
>
> My lilo.conf looks something like this without any typo's:
> lba32
> boot=/dev/hda5                 <************** Here is your problem
> root=/dev/hda5
> compact
> install=/boot/boot.b
> delay=20
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> image=/vmlinuz
>      label=Linux
>      read-only

Change that line to "boot=/dev/hda" and run /sbin/lilo. With this line
you're not telling lilo where /boot is found, you're telling it where to
install the boot loader.

I suspect you answered the question about installing a boot loader in the
partition boot sector "yes". Not the best move.

To use lilo to boot the machine, the boot loader must be installed in the
MBR, which is the first sector of /dev/hda (or /dev/sda if you boot from a
SCSI hard drive).

Kevin