Evolution segmentation faulting on me now

The nearest I can tell all of this mess started yesterday when I did an apt-get upgrade and an apt-get dist-upgrade. But for some reason whenever I try launch Ximian Evolution I get the following message and a gui segfault warning:

(Evolution:1008): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

so in an effort to work with some advice that I had gotten I tried to do a locale-gen, that worked but didn't fix anything and then a dpkg-reconfigure locale. It ran me through all the questions that I answered as best I could (I just found out what a locale is today and still didnt really understand my selections) and made sure to select C when it asked me. I tried again and evolution still didn't work, I then did another locale-gen and it still didn't, rebooted, etc. etc.

So I am basically stuck, confused and verging on desperate, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Self