Re: a problem when use 'apt-get install' command install 'mysql-server', help !!

On 5 Jun 2003 Jojo <jojo@lycatv.cn> wrote:

>  I had got a 'apt-install error' problem when I used command:
>  "apt-get -u install mysql-server mysql-client"
> laptop:~# apt-get -u install mysql-server mysql-client Reading Package
> Selecting previously deselected package mysql-server.
> Unpacking mysql-server (from .../mysql-server_3.23.51-1woody5_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up mysql-client (3.23.51-1woody5) ...
> Setting up mysql-server (3.23.51-1woody5) ...
> Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  mysql-server

I have had an error message like this
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
when installing 'gstreamer' packages.

It turned out that in all their post-installation scripts the first two lines
  set -e
  unset DISPLAY
This causes the scripts to prematurely exit if there is no DISPLAY set.
And I had no DISPLAY set because I was not working in X.

The simple work-around was to enter the command
  # export DISPLAY=<anything>
  # dpkg --configure gstreamer-<package>

Now I am not suggesting this is the solution to your problem, only that,
if no other solution comes up, it is worth the trouble to extract the
post-inst script from the mysql-server .deb package file and study
its contents. You may find that the script fails because of some
peculiarity of the environment it runs in on your system.

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands
tel +31 23 5324909, benkal@euronet.nl