sylpheed-claws won't compile - glibc is incorrect version

I'm running Debian "sarge".

I'm trying to get sylpheed-claws installed, the latest & greatest
version.

In attempting to ./configure , it complains about not having the
latest glibc;

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.6... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

Right now, this is the last itme holding me up, from using the debian
system  full time.

In doing dpkg -l glibc, I get the following;

un  glibc          <none>         (no description available)

I'm know I'm missing something, but not sure what.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@pe.net>	Registered Linux User #96112