cupsys works, lpr does not

I've been trying to get my printer working again and it does not want to
print pages. I can print a "test page" from cups (through a web browser)
but I couldn't print any actual pages because "lpr" didn't want
to/couldn't read my /etc/printcap file.

The printcap file was not updated by cupsys. So I decided to install
printtool to see if it would fix things. Of course it didn't, so now I'm
trying to go back to cupsys. I get the following error message though:

debian:/home/emmajane# apt-get install cupsys
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  debconf debconf-utils debhelper gcc-3.3-base gettext gs-esp
libcupsimage2
  libcupsys2 libdb3 libgcc1 libgcrypt1 libgimpprint1 libgnutls5 liblzo1
  libopencdk4 libpam-modules libpam0g libpopt0 libstdc++5 libtasn1-0
passwd
  po-debconf
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  cupsys-pstoraster lpr-ppd modconf pppoeconf whiptail
  cupsys gcc-3.3-base gettext gs-esp libcupsimage2 libgcc1 libgcrypt1
  libgnutls5 liblzo1 libopencdk4 libstdc++5 libtasn1-0 po-debconf
10 packages upgraded, 13 newly installed, 5 to remove and 156  not
upgraded.
Need to get 0B/8865kB of archives. After unpacking 14.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
package libpam-modules due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often
bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak
option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam-modules

So....I guess I need to "active the APT::Force-LoopBreak"? Or something? I
tried apt-get remove libpam-modules but aborted that pretty quickly when I
saw what it was going to remove.

Any ideas?

--
Emma Jane Hogbin