Re: unable to compile a kernel

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:41:05 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> Even though the kernel apparently cannot be built with 3.x, I tried
> it as you suggested. It got further than before, but now it can't
> build the (debian stock) lm-sensors-source modules:
>
> kernel/busses/i2c-ali1535.c:675:6: missing terminating " character
> kernel/busses/i2c-ali1535.c:676:89: missing terminating " character
> kernel/busses/i2c-ali1535.c:691:1: unterminated argument list invoking
> macro "MODULE_AUTHOR"
>
> where the lines look like:
>
> 674: MODULE_AUTHOR
> 675:    ("Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>, Philip Edelbrock
> <phil@netroedge.com>, 676:      Mark D. Studebaker <mdsxyz123@yahoo.com>
> and Dan Eaton <dan.eaton@rocketlogix.com>"); 677:
> MODULE_DESCRIPTION("ALI1535 SMBus driver");
>
> [...]
>
> 691: EOF

This is a C extension that isn't supported in gcc-3.x, but *is*
supported by gcc-2.95.  I know this because I ran into this
same error compiling lm_sensors earlier tonight.

I'm coming in late to this thread; but as I understand it, you get
the usual errors compiling the kernel with gcc-3.3; but when you
compile your kernel with gcc-2.95, it gripes about the athlon
switch.  Is that right?  If so, what keeps you from compiling your
kernel with gcc-2.95 but not specifying athlon?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)