Re: Gnome desktop icons are no longer showing

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 12:03, Nathan Poznick wrote:
> Thus spake Jeff Self:
> > I'm running Debian unstable with Gnome 2.2 and Nautilus. Since yesterday
> > afternoon, I noticed that my icons are missing. My Home, Start Here,
> > Trash and other folders I created myself. I also don't have ability to
> > right click on my desktop. Anybody know what I should look for? Or is
> > this a new bug with something that was updated?
>
> Sounds like Nautilus is no longer running, since it takes care of drawing
> the icons and whatnot on the desktop.  Have you restarted X recently, or
> did it just stop working while you left it up?  If it's the latter, I
> would suspect that Nautilus simply crashed, and logging out of X and
> logging back in would likely restore your desktop.  If however you have
> already done that, and Nautilus doesn't start up automatically, the
> cause is something else...

I've logged out and logged in as root. The same thing is happening under
root as well. So its definitely a system-wide problem. I just don't
remember what got updated yesterday. I've uninstalled Nautilus and
reinstalled it. I've run dpkg-reconfigure nautilus. No change. No icons,
no right-click on desktop.

--
Jeff Self
Information Technology Analyst