Re: Compiling 2.4.18-BF from apt-get source

On 2 Jun 2003 Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003, Kevin McKinley wrote:
>
> That being said, then how do you then remake the kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
> package?  I could just replace the kernel image without telling  dpkg, but
> that doesn't seem to be a good idea.  Life's easier when I don't  go
> behind the package manager's back.

One more tip for dealing with Debian packages of custom kernels and other
home-brewn 'Debianized' software: it is possible to maintain a local archive
of Debian packages, on your hard disk, from which you can install packages
with apt-get just like from a cd or an ftp site. If the directory you put
such a local arhive in were
  /var/lib/deb
you would have to specify it in /etc/apt/sources.list as
  deb file:/var/lib/ deb/
man dpkg-scanpackages provides more information on setting up a local Debian
archive.

It takes some trouble to add packages to (or remove them from) a local
archive. In particular, after every addition or removal one has to run
dpkg-scanpackages with the right parameters, and apt-get update, to update
the list of available packages. I have automated this with two scripts and
since then it has been very easy to work with my local Debian archive.

Regards,
Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands