Re: move from old HD to new hd...

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 13:48, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:50:05 -0400
> Paul Matuszewski <sase@five-elements.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a bare new ssytem (but with the correct modules installed for my
> > network interface cards and scsi controller...
> >
> > How can i move all the files from the ide to the new scsi disk.. and get
> > it to boot up on it.
> >
> > I mean.. obviously.. the best thing to do is to partition the scsi disk in
> > the same manor as the ide first..
> >
> > but then how to change/copy the files.. and make it bootable?
>
> I did this by first partitioning the new hard drive. The partitions are not
> required to be the same size as the old ones, and they are not required to
> use the same type of filesystem.
>
> Then I booted with a rescue CD and mounted the partition I wanted to copy as
> /mnt/old and the destination partition as /mnt/new, followed by "cp -a
> /mnt/old/* /mnt/new". That took about a cup of coffee (I sipped slowly.) I
> repeated the mount/copy process for each partition on the old hard drive.
>
> Then I dd'd the boot loader in the MBR with "dd if=/dev/hda bs=448 count=1
> of=/dev/hdb" assuming /dev/hda is the old drive and /dev/hdb is the new.
> (This will not disturb the partition table in the MBR.)
>
> Since Windows was one of the operating systems, I also dd'd the boot sector
> of the Windows partition, with the same bs=448.
>
> Then I swapped the drives and rebooted. It worked.

Of course, if you have broadband, you could always re-install Debian,
then restore /home and config files...

That has the side benefit of eliminating cruft.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |