Re: move from old HD to new hd...

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:50:05 -0400
Paul Matuszewski <sase@five-elements.com> wrote:

> I have a bare new ssytem (but with the correct modules installed for my
> network interface cards and scsi controller...
>
> How can i move all the files from the ide to the new scsi disk.. and get
> it to boot up on it.
>
> I mean.. obviously.. the best thing to do is to partition the scsi disk in
> the same manor as the ide first..
>
> but then how to change/copy the files.. and make it bootable?

I did this by first partitioning the new hard drive. The partitions are not
required to be the same size as the old ones, and they are not required to
use the same type of filesystem.

Then I booted with a rescue CD and mounted the partition I wanted to copy as
/mnt/old and the destination partition as /mnt/new, followed by "cp -a
/mnt/old/* /mnt/new". That took about a cup of coffee (I sipped slowly.) I
repeated the mount/copy process for each partition on the old hard drive.

Then I dd'd the boot loader in the MBR with "dd if=/dev/hda bs=448 count=1
of=/dev/hdb" assuming /dev/hda is the old drive and /dev/hdb is the new.
(This will not disturb the partition table in the MBR.)

Since Windows was one of the operating systems, I also dd'd the boot sector
of the Windows partition, with the same bs=448.

Then I swapped the drives and rebooted. It worked.

The usual disclaimers apply. :)

Kevin