testing: dist-upgrade to perl-5.8 removes modules

Folks ~

I'm running testing, and a week or two ago apt [dist-upgrade] wanted
to install a new Perl (5.8) to replace my current 5.6.1.  I've no
special preference for 5.6x, but apt also wants to remove several Perl
modules on which I depend.

To wit: Digest::MD5 appears to be replaced with libmd5-perl;
Test::Harness now appears to be included in perl-modules.  Others,
though, I haven't been able to verify or find:  Time::HiRes, Storable,
GD.

I've been experimenting (without success) with pinning Perl at 5.6.1.
I understand from reading the archives that this is not the best use
of pinning, and should be avoided if there's a better way.

I know I could proceed with the dist-upgrade and then use CPAN to
reinstall the removed modules, but if I understand apt correctly this
is a short-term expedience guaranteed to fail long-term.

The only other thing I can think of is packaging those modules for
perl-5.8 myself, but I've never done that and can't evaluate whether
or not it's a good solution.

Can some one with more experience point me in the right direction?
I'm version-agnostic for Perl, as long as I (a) keep my modules, and
(b) don't do anything that would set a booby-trap for apt in the
future.

Randall