Re: apt-get Newbie

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:22:38 +0000, Alan C wrote:

> I'm a Debian newbie.

	Welcome, you sure sound like one!

> I would now like to follow just the 'stable' updates and
> let my non-stable stuff stay as it is until it enters the
> stable 'stream'.

	Well then, you can just take them out of sources.list and let
them lie until they get into stable.

	Or you can substitute them by testing packages in a mixed
distributions configuration, and also wait -- in this case you get
more packages changed from stable, but a smoother transition of these
packages into stable.  You would need to read the pertinent section of the
apt HOWTO.

> I would like to get all stable, US and non-US, main and
> contrib.

	Go ahead!

> Is it just a case of doing a regular:
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get upgrade
>
> with all 'stable' lines in sources.list,
> or will the 'backports' be damaged (or never upgraded)?

	Not damaged, but never upgraded until there are newer packages in
stable.  Isn't this what you want?

> What should I put in sources.list ?

	Take some samples and go from there... or just use something
like apt-spy.

> I've tried putting every possible option in to
> sources.list according to the DEB URI DISTRIBUTION
> [COMPONENT1] [COMPONENENT2] [...] rule, but I get lots of
> file-not-found errors.

	If you want specific advise, please publish *your* file *and*
the error messages you get.  You must understand your paragraph above
is useless as a troubleshooting input.

> Has anyone compiled a definitive list of all possible
> combinations allowed in sources.list ?

	Neither necessary, nor useful, nor practical -- perhaps not
even possible.

> Should I leave the backport lines in sources.list
> or remove them?

	Up to you.  I'd remove them, but that's because I am partial
to the mixed distributions mechanism.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra