Re: AIC7xxx drivers Thunder K7x Pro

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 04:05:41PM -0400, Paul Matuszewski wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 08:40AM, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 04:18:01AM -0400, Paul Matuszewski wrote:
> > > Hi all, newbie here.
> > >
> > > I've installed plenty of non-scsi systems.. but one of the first systems
> > > that i am isntalling is not working 'out of the box' per say.
> > >
> > > It is a thunder k7x pro w/ the adaptec aic-7902W scsi chip onboard
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get it to work.. but am having a miserable time.
> > >
> > > Are there drivers available?  and if so.. how do I go about adding them
> > > while i'm doing a fresh installation (no other hd's avail except what's on
> > > the scsi.)
> >
> > At the install CD's boot: prompt enter "compact" to boot/install with
> > the so-called "compact" kernel which includes aic7xxx support.
>
> I tried that.. no dice..
>
> I ahve a aic79xx.o module that i'd like to use.. but I tried loading it
> through a shell.. and got unresolved symbol errors.. trying to figure out
> what it includes and how to get it loaded

Ack, sorry, answered a bit too quickly. I seem to have told quite a
few people recently-ish "use compact to get your SCSI working", and I
didn't check whether your chip was mentioned in the kernel docs before
replying.

As it turns out, it isn't listed or even mentioned anywhere in the
2.4.20 kernel source.

It seems your aic79xx.o module must have come from kernel 2.4.21. You
*might* be able to insert it by hand into the bf24 kernel - it's worth
a shot - but I wouldn't bet on it. I think you've got to obtain
somehow a 2.4.21 kernel image with aic79xx support enabled and use
that for the installation.

Quite how one goes about doing a Debian installation booting a
non-Debian kernel I'm not sure, but I'd try editing the boot floppy
image to include the 2.4.21 kernel, and doing the install-the-kernel
step of the installation by hand.

If you don't have another Linux box available to help you do this, you
could temporarily install some old half-gig IDE HD, do a bare-bones
minimum installation to that, then build a 2.4.21 kernel with aic79xx
support, transfer your minimal installation with new kernel to the
SCSI HD, reboot and use your favourite package management tool to
finish the job. Or you could temporarily install some old SCSI card
which is supported by the standard kernels until you can build a
2.4.21. If you have such a card around, this would probably be easier.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons