apt-get Newbie

Hi All

I'm a Debian newbie.

I understand it's possible to use apt-get once every
couple of weeks or so to keep a system up-to-date.

When I installed Debian 3.0r1, some of the software
I wanted to use specified Gnome2.2, so I've gone beyond
stable and put the following 'backports' at the top of
my sources.list file:

---
deb http://mirror.raw.no/ gnome2.2/

deb http://mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody gnome2.2/

deb http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/ gnome2.2/
---

I did this trustingly as I don't understand the concept
of 'backporting'...

I would now like to follow just the 'stable' updates and
let my non-stable stuff stay as it is until it enters the
stable 'stream'.

I would like to get all stable, US and non-US, main and
contrib.

Is it just a case of doing a regular:
  apt-get update
  apt-get upgrade

with all 'stable' lines in sources.list,
or will the 'backports' be damaged (or never upgraded)?

What should I put in sources.list ?

I've tried putting every possible option in to
sources.list according to the DEB URI DISTRIBUTION
[COMPONENT1] [COMPONENENT2] [...] rule, but I get lots of
file-not-found errors.

Has anyone compiled a definitive list of all possible
combinations allowed in sources.list ?

Should I leave the backport lines in sources.list
or remove them?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Alan