Re: horse at the gate

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 06:05:53PM -0400, wa dea wrote:

> When wandering around how can I distinguish filetypes?  Is there a good
> reference?

apt-get install file

then run "file filename" for detailed info. for simpler things, try 'ls
--color' this will hilight normal files/directories/executables
differently to keep from having to type this every time, you can do

alias ls='ls --color'

you can also edit your .bashrc file to make this automatic every time
you login.

> I'm working through a few tutorials but what I'm looking for is reference
> material not tutorials.

What sort of reference are you looking for, general command line tools?
Something else? Not sure what you mean here, but if you give some more
info I'm sure plenty of folks here have their favorite references :-)

-Mark