Re: more problems because of this testing mess

On Fri, 30 May 2003 15:49:35 -0400
stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> dpkg: regarding .../libparted1.6-0_1.6.5-1_i386.deb containing
> libparted1.6-0:
> libparted1.6-0 conflicts with libparted
> libparted1.4 provides libparted and is installed.
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libparted1.6-0_1.6.5-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
> conflicting packages - not installing libparted1.6-0
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libparted1.6-0_1.6.5-1_i386.deb

So it looks like you have libparted1.4 installed, and want to install
libparted1.6-0.

According to aptitude, these are the packages that still depend on
libparted1.4:

python-parted 0.10-1
parted-bf 1.4.24-4
parted 1.4.24-4
nparted 0.1-5

.. . .which are all in stable but not testing, and . . .

libparted1.4-i18n 1.4.24-4
libparted1.4-dev 1.4.24-4
libparted1.4-dbg 1.4.24-4

.. . .which are not depended on by anything in testing.  I don't know
why libparted1.4 and libparted1.6 are both in testing right now,
because libparted1.4 looks like it isn't used by anything in testing,
and actually conflicts with the version of parted that's currently
in testing.  Maybe someone else can explain that.  But in the meantime,
I would think that it should be safe to remove it, which I guess was
what you tried to do next:

> teddy:~# apt-get remove libparted1.4
>  Reading Package Lists... Done
>  Building Dependency Tree... Done
>  You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>  Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    libparted1.4-dev: Depends: libparted1.4 (= 1.4.24-4) but it is not
>    going to be installed
> 	 parted: Depends: libparted1.6-0 (>= 1.6.0) but it is not going to
> 	 be installed
> 	 E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages
> 	 (or specify a solution).

Do you have libparted1.4-dev installed for some reason?  It depends on
libparted1.4.  In theory, apt should be able to handle this OK; it should
respond to your request to remove libparted1.4 by asking to remove both
libparted1.4 and libparted1.4-dev.  For times when it can't do that,
because the dependency structure got messed up in some way that it
can't figure out how to proceed, "apt-get -f install" is what's
recommended in the apt-get man page, and was recommended to you by
apt-get, in the snippet you posted (see the quote from you above).  What
happened when you tried that?

If that failed to work . . .the apt-get man page writeup for "-f" says:

}	It is possible that a system's dependency
}	structure can be so corrupt as to  require  manual  intervention
}	(which usually means using dselect(8) or dpkg --remove to elimi-
}	nate some  of  the  offending  packages).

i.e. you might "dpkg --remove" the libparted1.4 packages and then try
"apt-get -f install" again, or something like that.

HTH.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)