Re: Perl in testing?

On Fri, 30 May 2003 10:31:25 -0400
stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> I've got a "testing" machine that I'm using in production 24/7 (yes,
> I've heard the speech on that).
>
> One of the things that it does is run a perl daemon that uses the perl
> hi res time functions. I'm trying to get the machine up to the latest
> "testing" packages, but at the moment I have a number of packages that I
> can't install because the want to remove  libtime-hires-perl . Is this
> just a difference in packaging? Is this module included in, let's say.
> the new perl-modules package that apt-get wants to install?

To find this out, I went to the Debian Packages page at

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

I went down to the bottom, where there's a form you can use to search
the contents of packages, and to list the contents of a specific package.
I used it to get a list of files in the stable version of
libtime-hires-perl.  There were a bunch of /usr/share/doc files, a man
page, and then the files Time/HiRes.pm, auto/Time/HiRes/HiRes.bs, and
auto/Time/HiRes/HiRes.so.  I then used the same form, with different
button settings, to find out whether any package in testing contains
those three files.  Looks like they've all been incorporated into the
"perl" package.

I confirmed this by going into aptitude, looking under upgradeable
packages, going to "perl", and hitting enter to get detail on it.
Listed under packages it replaces is "libtime-hires-perl".

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)