Re: Perl in testing?

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:31:25AM -0400, stan wrote:
> I've got a "testing" machine that I'm using in production 24/7 (yes,
> I've heard the speech on that).
>
> One of the things that it does is run a perl daemon that uses the perl
> hi res time functions. I'm trying to get the machine up to the latest
> "testing" packages, but at the moment I have a number of packages that
> I can't install because the want to remove  libtime-hires-perl . Is
> this just a difference in packaging? Is this module included in, let's
> say. the new perl-modules package that apt-get wants to install?

Yes (well, perl, not perl-modules). Look at perl's control fields:

  Package: perl
  Version: 5.8.0-17
  Replaces: [...], libtime-hires-perl
  Provides: [...], libtime-hires-perl
  Conflicts: [...], libtime-hires-perl (<< 1.20-1)

perl 5.8 was forced into testing with a large hammer because it was
holding up too much other development work (perl, python, postgresql,
and a few other things all had to be pushed through simultaneously ...).
Things will sort themselves out in time, but somewhat under 100 packages
per architecture were rendered uninstallable for a while. If you're
lucky, you won't need any of those.