Re: Modem: LSR safety check engaged

On Thursday 29 May 2003 06:47 am, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
>   ANyone know what this means?  ANybody successfully got this
> card to work with Linux?
>
>   I tried ActionTEc's PCI 56K V92 Call Waiting modem, which
> is supposed to work with Linux; its existence is not
> recognized either by windows XP or by Linux.

No experience with that card, but I had a similar experience
with another.

I was trying to get a PCMCIA modem to work on my laptop.  I was
getting "that message" on boot, and it didn't work.  "syslog"
showed the modem (strangely) as /dev/ttyS04, which also didn't
work.

Meanwhile, it worked on Knoppix, Mandrake, and Red Hat as
/dev/ttyS01 .

The problem was a misconfigured setserial.  Not knowing any
better, somehow I installed it, with manual configuration.  The
problem was solved by changing the configuration to #kernel.

Then I questioned ....  why do I need setserial?  So ...
"apt-get --purge remove setserial" .   Works perfectly now, as
/dev/ttyS01 .

Apparently, setserial is used when you have lots of modems, or a
multi-port card.

I still don't know what it means.