Modem: LSR safety check engaged

Hi:

  I am using sarge with Linux 2.4.18 on Gateway 700X. This comes with
  a GTW V.92 soft modem which I am trying to get to work with my linux.

  Linux recognizes the existence of the card, but does not appear to be
  able to say on what port it is or what the uart is. I did a set serial
  and assigned it to ttyS2 with the IRQ and port given by linux and uart
  as 16550A. No dial tone comes up when I try to dial out. And there is
  a message: LSR safety check engaged.

  ANyone know what this means?  ANybody successfully got this card to
  work with Linux?

  I tried ActionTEc's PCI 56K V92 Call Waiting modem, which is supposed
  to work with Linux; its existence is not recognized either by windows
  XP or by Linux.

  Any suggestions?

  Thanks.

  Sebastian