Re: woody, sarge, or sid?

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:14:27PM -0400, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:49, Gezim H wrote:
> [snip]
> > On the other hand if I get
> > sarge or sid is my system gonna crush often, how unstable is really sid? If
> > I get sid, and I want to install gimp, with "apt-get install gimp" is it
> > gonna install gimp 1.3 (unstable)? Does sid use unstable packages too?  How
> > much more stable is sarge then sid?  Is sid ever gonna become stable?
> > Please give me some advise.
>
> Just a quick note, stable/unstable does not refer to the quality of the
> software itself, stable means that every package has been checked to
> verify that the dependencies are correct, so you should never have
> dependency issues on stable, testing is close to the same, unstable
> means that there may be times when package a depends on version x of
> package b but package b is at version y so you have have uninstallable
> packages. This is usually quite minimal though, I have been running
> unstable for a couple years and have seen this relatively few times
> (it's quite avoidable). Occasionally beta versions or snapshots of
> packages will be put in unstable, but that's not really what it is all
> about.

I can't speak for unstable, but at the moment, testing is quite a mess and
has been for about 2 weeks. You can't use dselect with essentially
destroying your system, and hand apt-get upgrades give 100+ packages not
upgraded.

After over a year of almost no problems running testing, on half a dozen
machines, this started about 2 weeks ago, and continues to get worse every
day.

I've sent a mail to this list but got no clues as to when this was going to
be resolved.

So, at the moment, I'm not even certain you _can_ install testing :-(

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin