Re: New User

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:18, Jonathon B. Craw wrote:
> Hey, you'll be able to install it blindfolded after a few times.  It *really*
> does become easy.
>
> 1.  Permissions on /dev/mix*  /dev/dsp/*: give yourself read/write access
> 	I might do something like chmod a+rw /dev/mix* /dev/dsp*  -- see chmod

Umm, no...

Also known as "NO! NO! NO!"

Do NOT go mucking around with chmod'ing /dev entries! They are the way
they are for a reason.

Instead, do an ls -l of the /dev entries that you need - in this case
you are looking at sound so you will likely see something like:

crw-rw----    1 root   audio     14,   3 1969-12-31 19:00 /dev/sound/dsp

Notice the second pronouncable word - "audio". That is the group that
the device belongs to - everyone in that group has permission to use
that device. Add those users that you wish to have access to sound to
the audio group, with a command such as:

# adduser <username> audio

Note the pound sign - it needs to be issued from root or via an sudo.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org