Re: New User

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 08:47:30PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 20:18, Jonathon B. Craw wrote:
> >
> > 1.  Permissions on /dev/mix*  /dev/dsp/*: give yourself read/write access
> > 	I might do something like chmod a+rw /dev/mix* /dev/dsp*  -- see chmod
> >
> Umm, no...
>
> Also known as "NO! NO! NO!"
>
> Do NOT go mucking around with chmod'ing /dev entries! They are the way
> they are for a reason.
>
> Instead, do an ls -l of the /dev entries that you need - in this case
> you are looking at sound so you will likely see something like:
>
> crw-rw----    1 root   audio     14,   3 1969-12-31 19:00 /dev/sound/dsp

While that's true of audio stuff, can you still recommend the same approach
(leave it alone) for other devices? IIRC I had to "chgrp scanner /dev/sg0"
to give myself permission to use my scanner - the alternative is to add
myself to the root group, which is a bit loose ...

Is there a reason I shouldn't have done what I did?

Thanks,

Richard