Re: GUI Login and Gnome/KDE Problems

spahmtrahp@yahoo.com wrote:
In article <pan.2003.05.28.13.40.03.921966.22814@earthlink.dotnet> you wrote:

3. I usually use Gnome. Currently, it will not allow root to log in.

How do I change this to something appropriate for an ADULT?

I can't imagine why you'd ever want to login to GNOME as root, but if you
really want to, try editing the config file of your display manager (under /etc/X11/gdm for gdm, or /etc/X11/xdm for xdm, or someplace else for kdm, dunno where).

My assumptions for this reply/solution are that you are using gdm as your default login manager. If not, I don't know if this will work, but you can try.

You need to have root priveleges on your box (use 'su', 'sudo', I don't care, its all about choice : ). Then run 'gdmconfig'. When the gdmconfig window comes up, look in the "Security" tab. There is an option that specifies "Allow root to login with GDM", make sure it is ticked. Then you should be able to log in to GDM.

Also, just as a side note, people crib about X not coming up and being dumped to a text prompt, so try to be happy about GUI : ) (just a joke ofcourse, you probably want/need text login for some reason).

HTH,
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop