Re: ntp synchronisation lost

Mark Ferlatte said on Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:23:26AM -0700:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing a large amount of the following message in my syslogs:
>
> ntpd[542]: synchronisation lost
>
> It seems to happen at night, and appears to be persistent.  However, ntpq shows
> that the hosts in question know about other NTP servers, and appear to be
> setting time from them.
>
> The NIST NTP pages didn't seem to have much about this, or how to debug NTP
> issues... has anyone else had this problem?

It appears that this is message indicates that that the ntpd has had to step
your clock, instead of slewing it (ie, your system clock was more than 128ms
off from your NTP server's clock).  Not fatal, but not really good; I think it
indicates that you need more NTP servers in your ntp.conf that have good
connectivity.

At any rate, adding a few us.pool.ntp.org entries appears to have fixed it.
Yay.