Re: How to make DNS and DHCP server play nice?

Quoting Jerry Quinn <jlquinn@optonline.net>:
> Jeffrey L. Taylor <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> writes:
>  >
>  > Setting up DNS takes a couple of hours in one go.  Getting around it
>  > will take about the same amount of time in smaller chunks.  You have
>  > three (or more) alternatives:
>  >
>  > 1) configure DHCP server to always give out the same IP address to the
>  > same NIC each time and edit /etc/hosts on each box as new hosts added.
>  >
>  > 2) configure DHCP server to give out the same IP address each time and
>  > configure DNS with the names and IP addresses once and edit
>  > /etc/resolv.conf once on each box.
>  >
>  > 3) configure DHCP and DNS servers to use Dynamic DNS, so DHCP server
>  > updates DNS server each time an IP address changes.
>
>  > Having done all three at one time or another, I've settled on number
>  > two.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> This is clearly depressing.  I was hoping someone had already made it
> simple to Do The Right Thing(tm).
>
> Ah, well.  I guess I can add fixing a DNS server to work right to the
> list of many projects I might get around to doing some day.

You might try using Webmin to administer DNS.  The one problem is that
you do need to understand DNS before using it.  Also, don't allow the
Internet access to your DNS server (i.e., firewall port 53) and you
don't have to worry about security as much.  This is assuming a SOHO
LAN behind a firewall with NAT (AKA IP masquerading).

HTH,
  Jeffrey