Re: runlevels [was: fried(?) computer hangs on boot]

Kent West wrote:

Vikki Roemer wrote:

Did that, got a couple of weird errors, and found out anacron is what's freezing up the system.

The errors are:
starting blinkenlights: nice: start-stop-daemon: no such file or directory.

gdnc unable to make connection to 127.0.0.1:538 -- network is unreachable uncaught exception NSPortTimeoutException, reason: timed out unregistering port

So how do I fix anacron, get back nice, and fix my networking stack (I assume that's what's fubarred)? Is there any way to fix those?

Try "apt-get --reinstall install anacron".

Well, I would, but I can't log in. I have it booting up now, I get a login prompt, it'll accept my username, but it hangs trying to authenticate my password. Do you think this is a problem with login (I think that's the program), or whatever file the passwords are stored in? The passwords aren't stored in /etc/passwd because they're encrypted-- I know that much. And I tried logging in as both root and as a normal user and both logins are hung.

And, AFAIK, only 3 programs (so far) are seriously damaged: anacron, cron, and fetchmail-- those were the ones that were hanging on boot up. As for those other errors above, I assume that in single-user mode, nice doesn't work (same as ctrl-z) and neither does networking.

I'd recommend you respond to the list rather than to me, in case I tell you something wrong, or others need to clarify things, or I don't know the answer, as well as to provide a record in the archives in the event someone in the future has a similar problem.

Oops, sorry, I thought I had. Mozilla is driving me nuts because it doesn't have a "reply to list" feature like mutt does. :(

---