Re: dhclient testing

Hi Steve,

I encountered this same problem just a few days ago with Woody/kernel 2.4.20, although I'm ashamed to admit it didn't occur to me to check the DHCP server logs on the gateway machine. I don't know if the fix I found will work for your scenario, but here's what I found with kernel 2.4.20 and a Realtek 8139 ethernet device using the '8139too' kernel module:

Try using 'pump' to grab an IP address:

pump -i eth0

(Or eth1, or whatever interface you're trying to grab an IP for)

This worked on my machine even when eth0 wasn't getting an address at boot time.

After some more usenet/mailing list searches I read that the CONFIG_FILTER flag needs to be set to 'y' in the kernel '.config' file in order for DHCP to work correctly upon boot. I checked my .config file, and sure enough CONFIG_FILTER wasn't set. I set it to 'y', recompiled, reinstalled the kernel package, and rebooted. Eth0 grabbed an IP address without a hitch!

The usual caveats apply; YMMV, try this at your own risk, etc, but CONFIG_FILTER=y did the trick for me.

hth,

-Andy