man, oh man

I've installed some minimal stable configurations lately (answered no to
tasksel and dselect during installation of bf24).  When I run "man" on the
minimal system, it's like the output is piped to "more".  In a workstation
installation machine,  running man results in a environment similar to
running "vi -R".  The same version of man is being run on both systems.

I skimmed this (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Man-Page/index.html) and found
no explanation for the different behaviour.

I could use some help in understanding how the different man behaviors exist.

Thanks,
--
Mike M.