Re: about startx

-- jqdkf@zju.edu.cn <jqdkf@zju.edu.cn> wrote
(on Tuesday, 27 May 2003, 10:47 PM +0800):
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:58:32AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > jqdkf@zju.edu.cn wrote:
> >
> > >Well, this script is actually in ~bin/, and I have set the $PATH correct
> > >as I can run other self-write script successfully.
> > >What seems weird is that after I run that script and use
> > >$ ps -ecl|grep startx
> > >to test, I find the startx is running, but the window doesn't show up.
> > >What else should I test?
> > >

> > Okay; I'm seeing the same behaviour here.:
> >
> > westk[@westek]:/home/westk/BIN> cat sx
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo Script is running
> > startx -- :1 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
> > echo Script is running
> >
> > westk[@westek]:/home/westk> sx
> > Script is running
> > Script is running
> >
> > but no starting of X.
> >
> > However, removing the final ampersand on the startx line, so it becomes
> > this:
> > startx -- :1 > /dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > does work.
> >
> Yes, it does. But I'm still eager to know what's wrong with it, as I can
> start other programs with & in the script.
> Anyway, thanks a lot, it does save me some type.

I'm guessing that X doesn't like to be backgrounded, or that it *is*
running in the background. It may even be running -- try doing an
'Alt-F7' once you've started the script to see what happens -- if you go
to X, then I suggest simply removing the '&' (which backgrounds the
command) from the script.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net