log out to change users x freezes

Just installed Knoppix after running redhat/mandrake/suse fulltime for 2
years on my home pc, and have always wanted to try debian. I have a
fairly fresh install here, I have run a apt-get update and the apt-get
dist-upgrade
after updating kde I have run into a problem where if I log out to
change to root X is freezing and also samba is no longer accessible.
The only thing that is currently working is to reboot the machine.
Not sure where to begin looking to solve this one. I did do a google
search for the subject line and didn't find anything usefull there.
any ideas out there is this a common problem for debian newbies?

Brian B.