RE: Dns prob / resolving..

Oh, ic got ur point thanks! I never add the search options on resolv.conf,
now I did and I can resolve only by hostname.

-----Original Message-----
From: Haim Ashkenazi [mailto:haim@consonet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 4:01 PM
To: Debian User
Subject: Re: Dns prob / resolving..

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:10:30 +0800
"Miranda, Joel Louie M" <jmiranda@pd.state.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
> I forgot about how to resolve host by names on bind9 dns.
> Ex: I want to resolv only the name w/o the domain when I type..
> Linux> nslookup
> Nslookup> louie
> Server:
> Address:
> Name:   louie.mydns.com
> Address:
> >
> Here's my config, but when I type in louie it does not resolve
> ns           3600    IN      A
> louie        3600    IN      A
> Pls help!
This have nothing to do with bind. if you want to resolve only by name put
the following line in '/etc/resolv.con':

search	<DOMAIN>

when you make a dns query, you have to query for a
fully-qualified-domain-name (that is: host.domain). when you query only for
hostname, the client adds the domain from the 'search' entry in resolv.conf.