wine: cannot find the FreeType font library

Hello:

Under the latest Debian (stable) release, today I installed "wine".  I
then installed my copy of Excel version 4 (circa 1992) which I have used
without problem on a win 95 machine until today, when its disk crashed.
Not wanting to fuss with it, I chose the "wine/excel" install just
mentioned with "dselect" to get everything that I needed (or so I
thought).

Excel fires up and shows its basic screen but without a grid showing,
and then it hangs.  The log message is as follows:

  p4:provinsd@ve6wvc:~ 3$ wine c:\\EXCEL\\EXCEL
  Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin c:\EXCEL\EXCEL ...
  Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
  use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
  or equal to 2.0.5.
  http://www.freetype.org
  There may be more fonts available - try increasing the value of MAX_FONTS
  fixme:global:SetSwapAreaSize16 (8192) - stub!
  fixme:local:LocalNotify16 Half implemented
  fixme:scroll:ScrollBarWndProc Unimplemented style SBS_SIZEBOX.
  fixme:scroll:ScrollBarWndProc Unimplemented style SBS_SIZEBOX.
  /usr/bin/wine: line 439:  9517 Killed             $WINEBIN/$WINE_BIN_NAME "$@"
  Wine failed with return code 137

I think the last 2 lines resulted from my "kill" command.

I have "/usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.0" installed, which "dselect"
indicates is version 2.0.9-1 (the FreeType 2 font engine), but it seems
to be "invisible" to "wine".

Do any readers have ideas on what is amiss here?  I look forward to your

Regards,

Dean

--
				Dean Provins
			  provinsd@telusplanet.net

Linux is a stimulating and productive alternative to other PC operating systems.