Opinions on Lindows Mobile PC

Greetings list,

I have been looking at purchasing a new computer for a few months now.
I have gone back and forth between a desktop or notebook quite a bit, and
I have finally decided that I want to get a notebook.  Of course, the real
challenge is finding an affordable one with Linux preinstalled.  After
this slashdot story about HP selling selling Linux laptops in Thailand
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/23/1857246&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=137&tid=185
came out, I called HP to find out when they would be offered in the US.
Of course, they had no clue what I was talking about.

The point of this whole diatribe is that I have decided that I will probably
get the Lindows (yuck!) Mobile PC (available from idot.com).  If I purchase
it I will erase Lindows and install Debian Sid on it.  I am asking here
to see what everyone thinks of the price/value on this thing and overall
impressions.  I am not too concerned with hardware comaptibility since IIRC
Lindows is based on Debian unstable.

My comments are in square braces []

 FEATURES
? 	12.1" 1024 x 768 TFT Display  [a little small, but it's only 3 lbs]
? 	VIA C3 933MHz Processor [don't know anything about VIA, does anyone?]
? 	VIA VT8606 (Twister-T) + VT82C686B Chipset
? 	256MB PC-133 SDRAM onboard, support up to 768MB SDRAM
? 	2.5" 20.0GB Hard Disk Drive, 9.5mm, 4200 RPM
? 	Optional External CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD/CD-RW
? 	Integrated Savage 4 AGP 4X graphic core
                  (up to 32MB, shared with system memory)
? 	Full Duplex, Compliant with AC' 97 Audio
? 	2 x USB 2.0 & 1 x IEEE 1394 ports
? 	1 Compact Flash Slot & 1 PCMCIA Slot
? 	Internal Realtek 10/100 LAN
? 	LindowsOS 3.0 with dedicated tech support
? 	Removable Li-Ion Battery
? 	Dimensions: 10.43" x 8.66" x 0.91" & Weight: 2.9 lbs
? 	Two Year Warranty

With the upgrades I have chosen (extra 512MB RAM for a total of 768MB and
the external 24x/12x/36x CD-RW drive) the price w/o shipping adds up to
US$ 1207.  Is this a good deal?  Are there better ones out there?

I don't particularly care for Lindows, but I would rather throw an extra
$100 their way rather than at M$.

Also, is installing Debian from an external CD-ROM feasible?  I know have
seen some discissions about it, but is easy to do in general?

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es