Re: Cups network printserver protocol.

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 04:34:57PM -0400, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 15:48, Russ Pitman wrote:
> > In setting up a separate box as printserver for my small lan I'm confused
> > about the printers.conf file. It is currently configured for the parallel
> > port and works fine, but I understand that to comunicate to the other boxes
> > it should be set up with the ipp proto.
> >
> > If I do that print jobs get accepted and queued but never get printed. The
> > error log shows no error. The last errorline reads
> > "Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp (PID 902) for job 19" but nothing
> > gets passed to the printer until the the configuration is reverted to the
> > parallel proto.
> >
> > Cups documentation simply says that everything just works and I can't get
> > clear references from Google.
> >
> > Attached here is the bare bones of my various configs for the lan, I get
> > error messages from the client boxes like lpstat -v
> > "get-printers failed server-error-service-unavailable" but not sure which
> > end of the connection is responsible.
> >
> > I must be missing something in the configs but where??
>
>     client.conf
>     ----------
>     ServerName 192.168.1.0
>
> Is this really what is in client.conf? is that right? typically, people

No its a typo :-(, it is correct in the files, 192.168.1.4 is the server ip.

> use a 255.255.255.0 netmask for this sort of subnet, in which case this
> would be a network address and not a valid host address... are you doing
> something different?
>
>     Allow From 192.168.1.0
>
> this seems to indicate that 192.168.1.0 is indeed your network address,
> if that is the case, you need to fix your client.conf and change this
> line to "Allow From 192.168.1.0/24"  (24 bit subnet mask)
>
> If not, then your clients are going to be denied because they do not
> have an Allow line that would give them access.
>
> Hope that helps,
It did considerably for as I was going through adding the /24 to the ip's
I found one more typo in the server's cupsd.conf which when fixed allowed
the clients to see the server.

Then changing the server protcol back to the parallel interface enabled it
to see the printer and it all worked from from all machines. :-)) .

Since it has been working and fiddling around for curiosity I find that cups
will work standalone with only the network address, in this case 192.168.1.0
as defined in '/etc/network/interfaces' but unless it has the range added
(/24) the clients can't see the server as you indicated. Using either the
bare network ip or the 192.168.1.0/24 form makes no difference to the
clients view. lpstat -v on the clients gives the same result  with both
forms.

> Mark

I really  appreciate your help.Thanks.
--