Re: Cups network printserver protocol.

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 15:48, Russ Pitman wrote:
> In setting up a separate box as printserver for my small lan I'm confused
> about the printers.conf file. It is currently configured for the parallel
> port and works fine, but I understand that to comunicate to the other boxes
> it should be set up with the ipp proto.
>
> If I do that print jobs get accepted and queued but never get printed. The
> error log shows no error. The last errorline reads
> "Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp (PID 902) for job 19" but nothing
> gets passed to the printer until the the configuration is reverted to the
> parallel proto.
>
> Cups documentation simply says that everything just works and I can't get
> clear references from Google.
>
> Attached here is the bare bones of my various configs for the lan, I get
> error messages from the client boxes like lpstat -v
> "get-printers failed server-error-service-unavailable" but not sure which
> end of the connection is responsible.
>
> I must be missing something in the configs but where??

    client.conf
    ----------
    ServerName 192.168.1.0

Is this really what is in client.conf? is that right? typically, people
use a 255.255.255.0 netmask for this sort of subnet, in which case this
would be a network address and not a valid host address... are you doing
something different?

    Allow From 192.168.1.0

this seems to indicate that 192.168.1.0 is indeed your network address,
if that is the case, you need to fix your client.conf and change this
line to "Allow From 192.168.1.0/24"  (24 bit subnet mask)

If not, then your clients are going to be denied because they do not
have an Allow line that would give them access.

Hope that helps,

Mark