Re: Linux vs Windows

on Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:23:43AM +0800, Robert Storey (y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net) wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 03:10:44PM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> > 3) Finished GUI:  The GUI of windows software and the OS seems to be
> > more finished then linux.  A simple example would be how many linux apps
> > like to maximize so that they are larger then the displayed window
> > space.
>
> If you encounter that problem repeatedly with a particular app, you can solve it by inserting geometry settings like this in your .Xresources (or alternatively, .Xdefaults) file:

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

That only works if the program's built against the Xt intrinsics
toolkit.  Much of, eg:  gtk, isn't.  Which is why X resources don't work
with GNOME apps.   Testing against Abiword, '-geometry' is ignored.

Peace.

   Office Despot: Office Depot embraces Microsoft XP logo requirement.
     http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit030.html
     http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8472