Re: clearing search buffer in vim

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:28:17AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> The vim help system is *fantastic*, possibly one of the most
> comprehensive documentation systems for any piece of free software (or
> indeed software) I've used. It seems to be available in
> /usr/share/doc/vim/html now as well, although I prefer having it right
> there in the editor.

Isn't it great? Really extraordinary. Of course it could be argued that
a piece of software as complex (rich, featureful, extensible) as Vim
*needs* a help system that good. But we can see for ourselves, things
don't always get what they need -- at least right away. No question, Vim
is fantastic. Even navigating the help system is something of a learned
art in Vim. Also great is that new pieces of documentation are so
readily added to Vim.

I also have <C-h> ("^h" in other lingo) set up to turn off highlighted
searches.  map <C-h>  <Esc>:set nohls<CR>  does it for me.

Some new users of Vim may feel that it takes too many keystrokes to
accomplish something that they think should be very simple and obvious.
But that's the price -- and a very reasonable one -- you pay for an
editor that can be configured to behave almost any way that you want it
to, in minute detail. For example there's the "Cream ['takes the
bitterness out of Vim']" project (hint: hosted by SourceForge) that
makes Vim behave as a Windoze or Mac refugee would most expect a text
editor to behave.

Now that I've put all the Emacs users out there sound asleep, I'll
quietly back out of the room ...  ;-)

--
See my OpenPGP key at https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050
GnuPG public key fingerprint  | "Only when efforts to reform society have as