Re: Mounting filesystem readonly

[Please wrap your lines!  It makes it much easier to read, and thus more
likely that you'll get a response.  Anywhere between 70 and 80 is
acceptable; 72 seems to be a nice value.]

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:38:01PM -0400, Rob French wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I have a Debian woody/stable system that is only going to be
> updated periodically, how safe is it to mount / and /usr read-only?
>
> (/var, /home, and /usr/local will be mounted read-write) Intuitively,
> it seems like nothing should be getting written in those other
> locations, but you never know!

This should be ok.  However, there are some issues, the only one I can
think of now is /etc/mtab.  It's created during the boot sequence, and
is used by 'mount' (at least).  You can mostly avoid this by symlinking
that file to /proc/mounts, though.  There as been a huge discussion on
the debian-devel mailing list about this sort of thing recently; if
you're interested, it's well worth at least skimming.

> The idea is that if I decide to do an apt-get upgrade (after an
> apt-get update... which shouldn't require the filesystems to be
> read-write) I would remount rw first.

Sounds good.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?