Mounting filesystem readonly

Hello,

If I have a Debian woody/stable system that is only going to be updated periodically, how safe is it to mount / and /usr read-only? (/var, /home, and /usr/local will be mounted read-write) Intuitively, it seems like nothing should be getting written in those other locations, but you never know!

The idea is that if I decide to do an apt-get upgrade (after an apt-get update... which shouldn't require the filesystems to be read-write) I would remount rw first.

Thanks for any info.
-Rob

--
Key fingerprint = 9296 627F 9D12 0C38 1946  C94F A7E9 C6C8 2B3C 7FE3