Re: KDE won't start anymore

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 01:40:45PM -0700, Brian wrote:
> Doh! Please help!
>
> I installed 3.0r1 with little trouble last night on a laptop. Wow. The
> installer is great now.
>
> Unfortunately, I already broke this new system by following the advice
> on this page:
>
> http://www.nward.net/resources/2002-08-04_debian_laptop.shtml
>
> regarding making both the touchpad and the USB mouse work simultaneously.
>
> He had me alter:
> /etc/modules
> /etc/fstab
> /etc/modutils/aliases
>
> run update-modules
>
> and then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Ok.  This is modifying some module loading stuff, and your basic X
configuration.  However, if X starts at all (as it is, since you get to
the KDE startup thingy), then it's almost certainly not an X issue.
Could you show use the bottom of your /var/log/XFree86.0.log, to be
sure?

> I restarted X and KDE hangs at the Starting System Services icon and
> then eventually the screen goes white.
>
> Here's the real trouble. I used vi to undo ALL the above changes and KDE
> still won't start!

As above, it's almost certainly a KDE thing.  Try moving your ~/.kde out
of the way and see if that helps (mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.old).

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?