KDE won't start anymore

Doh! Please help!

I installed 3.0r1 with little trouble last night on a laptop. Wow. The installer is great now.

Unfortunately, I already broke this new system by following the advice on this page:

http://www.nward.net/resources/2002-08-04_debian_laptop.shtml

regarding making both the touchpad and the USB mouse work simultaneously.

He had me alter:
/etc/modules
/etc/fstab
/etc/modutils/aliases

run update-modules

and then edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I restarted X and KDE hangs at the Starting System Services icon and then eventually the screen goes white.

Here's the real trouble. I used vi to undo ALL the above changes and KDE still won't start!

What happened? Thanks for any help. (Also, if we get this working again, I'd appreciate reliable advice on getting the USB mouse working with the touchpad.)

Brian