Re: blocking icmp...

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:56:07PM +0800, Hanz wrote:
> In setting up a firewall will there be any negative side effects if i
> block icmp?  Are there any services that depends on this? In my setup
> ill be running mail and web server in a DMZ.

Certain network information is transported via ICMP. If there is an MTU
bottleneck along the path and you block ICMP, the client may not be able
to get his mail (actually, any traffic at all) unless he lowers the MTU
himself. gmx.[net|de] does this, and one has to set up a firewall rule
to explicitly set the MTU to 1450 when negotiating a connection. Simply
setting an MTU on the outgoing client interface is not sufficient in
this special case.

So, yes, there might very well be negative side effects, and to be
honest, I can't think of a good reason for blocking ICMP altogether.
With enough trace tools out there which don't rely on ICMP, the measure
is useless for purposes of hardening a system, and serves only as a
nuisance. May be a RFC violation too, I didn't check.

HTH, HAND
Nick

--
|                 The greatest woes of the programmer?                 |