Testing Samba takes all of process table?

Just about half an hour ago, many things on my system started to
segfault with "Too man files open in system" errors, and of course I
couldn't start any new programs.

I quickly went to a VT, became root, and did "ps".  *Dozens* of nmbd
processes scrolled by.  "killall nmbd" freed everything up.

I'm not actually using Samba (although I plan to), so I just
uninstalled it.

Is this a known problem?  Is it a configuration error on my part, or
something in the package itself?

Running Sarge, updated about three hours ago.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading