2 IDE - 1 CD: which interfaces

I can never remember.  With two IDE drives and one IDE CD do you place both hard drives on
the same IDE interface as master and slave and the CD on the secondary as master, or do you
place the two IDE drives on separate interfaces and make CD slave on one of the interfaces?

I think I remember that you separate the CD from the hard drives because the CD can slow
down the entire interface.  But if that's true does the CD always degraded the interface or
only when the CD is being accessed.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley