Re: newer generation of spam

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:15:42AM -0400, Graeme Tank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my Woody/stable box I've been able to effectively filter spam with
> bogofilter involked in procmail:
>
> ii  bogofilter       0.7.5+1017cvs-1  a fast Bayesian spam filter
>
> However, I've been recently receiving an new class of spam that appears
> to be designed to evade spam filters that learn, such as the stable
> version of bogofilter.
>
> This newer class of spam is in html format. Yeah, yeah, html email is
> evil, but Friends and Family find the layout so beautiful/default_option
> that I'm unwilling to send all html formatted email to /dev/null.
>
> An example of this newer class of spam format can be found at:
>
>    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~graemet/newerspamformat.html
>
> Please view the page source (eg with your browser) to understand the
> spammers' strategy to evade spam filters that learn.
>
> I would like to know if there is a package in stable that could
> effectively handle this newer spam format (not likely is my guess)? If
> not, is there a package in the testing or unstable branches that
> would?

I have this in my postfix body_checks file:

/[a-z]<!--[a-z ]*-->[a-z]/                                      REJECT

I just rejects mails with html comments directly between letters.
Worst for them when they make their spam so immediately recognisable :-)

--
René Seindal (rene@seindal.dk)			http://sights.seindal.dk/